William Wyggeston, former MP and mayor of Leicester City, founded the original Wyggeston's hospital in 1513 to give accommodation to twelve poor men and twelve poor women, as a practical expression of his philanthropic faith.
Today, over 500 years later, the modern day Wyggestons remains committed to providing comfort, care and well being for its residents in a safe and secure environment through sheltered accommodation at William House and residential care at Agnes House. William House has evolved over its long and interesting history, starting life next door to the parish church of St Martin in Leicester City centre (now the cathedral), before residents moved to a new building on Fosse Road.
The building was replaced with the current William house. Agnes House was purpose-built in 1992 to provide residential care.
Our on site chapel is always open and apart from regular services, offers a tranquil setting for moments of quiet reflection. St Ursula's houses stained glass and stone monuments from both the first and second hospital buildings. At Wyggestons we are proud to build on our past, while bringing the principles of care and hospitality into the modern day.
Agnes House, William House and St Ursulas Chapel sit on their 3rd site in the city, however, they are all still based on the original layout.
Wyggestons Hospital has been a staple in the Leicestershire community for over 500 years, providing care and safe accommodation for those who require our services and facilities.