Wyggestons focuses on providing top quality affordable rented housing accommodation, support and care services for people of 60 years of age and over who are in need. Originally formed as an Almshouse's / Sheltered Housing Charity in 1513, Wyggestons has been successfully providing sheltered housing and housing related support and care services for vulnerable older people at its present site at Hinckley Road since the 1960s.
The Charity is also registered with the Care Quality Commission to provide residential and respite care at our Agnes House care home.
What is an Almshouse Hospital?
Formerly known as Wyggestons Hospital, Wyggestons was originally founded as an Almshouse – one of many charitable institutions across the country set up to provide shelter for those in need.
The term ‘hospital’ does not refer to a hospital as we know it today, but derives from a combination of words and sentiments including hospitality, hospice, accommodation and care.
The health, well-being and safety of everyone at Wyggeston's is of the utmost importance to us and our primary objective is to keep both our residents and staff as safe as possible.
Due to the difficult times that we are all currently experiencing, we would just like to reassure everyone that we are doing our utmost to keep our residents, visitors and staff safe.
Agnes House is not presently open to non-essential visitors and we request that visitors to William House think about the necessity of their visit. Skype and FaceTime are available to contact residents at Agnes House, please contact the home for details.
Our Hinckley Road site is comprised of;
William House: 55 Flats of Sheltered Housing
Agnes House: 26 Room residential care home
St Ursulas Chapel
William Wyggeston, former MP and mayor of Leicester City, founded the original Wyggeston's hospital in 1513 to give accommodation to twelve poor men and twelve poor women, as a practical expression of his philanthropic faith.
Today, over 500 years later, the modern day Wyggestons remains committed to providing comfort, care and well being for its residents in a safe and secure environment through sheltered accommodation at William House and residential care are Agnes House. William House has evolved over its long and interesting history, starting life next door to the parish church of St Martin in Leicester City centre (now the cathedral), before residents moved to a new building on Fosse Road.
The building was replaced with the current William House. Agnes House was purpose-built in 1992 to provide residential care.
Our on site chapel is always open and apart from regular services, offers a tranquil setting for moments of quiet reflection. St Ursula's houses stained glass and stone monuments from both the first and second hospital buildings. At Wyggestons we are proud to build on our past, while bringing the principles of care and hospitality into the modern day.
Sign up to the Wyggestons mailing list to receive regular updates of events listings, special occasions, Wyggestons news and what's going on here at Wyggestons.