The Duchy of Lancaster
So why Wyggestons?
Wyggeston’s Hospital was founded by William Wyggeston the Younger in 1513. It was licensed by King Henry VIII and was originally funded by the income from Wyggeston’s lordships, manors and lands. In 1857, the management of the Hospital was vested in twenty Trustees, who were required to erect a building for 25 residents. The Trustees also established a school for 200 boys and 100 girls between the ages of 7 and 17. This led to the foundation of Wyggeston Grammar School for Boys and Wyggeston Grammar School for Girls, both of which are now co-educational sixth form colleges.
The present Hospital on Hinckley Road was built in 1966. It offers 54 warden assisted flats, each suitable for a couple alongside a 24 room Residential Care Home named after the founder’s wife, Agnes.
The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster is responsible for appointing the Chaplain of Trinity Hospital and the Master of Wyggeston’s Hospital on behalf of His Majesty The King as Duke of Lancaster. Both organisations also continue to receive an ancient stipend or small annual grant from the Duchy of Lancaster Benevolent Fund.